Easy homemade chicken soup
Easy homemade chicken soup. Veggie packed, this comes together in less than an hour. Leftovers can be easily frozen in single serve containers to have on hand. And added plus, this is gluten free!
About the Recipe
1 large onion diced (about 1 cup)
4 tbs olive oil
3 cloves garlic (minced)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1 1 /2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups chopped peeled sweet potatoes
2 quarts low-sodium chicken broth (or more if needed)
4 cups roughly chopped kale
1. Set a large Dutch oven or stockpot over medium-high heat and add oil. When the oil shimmers, add onions and a generous pinch of salt.
2. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender, about 5-8 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook for another 1-2 minutes being careful not to burn the garlic.
3. Add the chicken, carrots, sweets potatoes, and chicken stock into the pot. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
4. Cook 15 minutes and then add kale. Cook another 10 minutes until the flavors have come together and the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are tender.
5. Remove chicken from the soup, allow to cool, shred and return to the soup. Add more hot liquid if needed to thin the soup to desired consistency. Taste and adjust for salt.
6. Serve hot.